Currently we have the following posts as civil peace worker.
For our CPS-programme
“Strengthening capacities for peace and human rights education
and for an active civil society”
together with our partner organisation “Kalyana Mitta Development Foundation”
we are looking for an
Civil Peace Worker in Myanmar
Kalyana Mitta Development Foundation: “Education for Peace”-project
Kalyana Mitta Development Foundation (KMF) is a registered NGO with projects in the fields of youth peace work, the environment and organic farming. KMF works on raising awareness for peace from a socially engaged Buddhist perspective. The “Education for Peace” project focuses on promoting peace skills of students in teacher trainings and on advocacy for the integration of Peace Education in teacher trainings.
Field of work:
As an integrated Civil Peace Worker you support a local organisation in a team with two Local Peace Workers to strengthen KMF’s work in the field of peace education with a focus on overcoming discrimination based on religious and ethnic differences.
- Planning, implementation and monitoring of the CPS project
- Strategic development, planning and implementation of advocacy and networking activities in collaboration with other organisations and state institutions from the field of education on issues of peace education.
- Supporting the preparation, implementation and evaluation of trainings/workshops on peace education and other follow-up activities, designing training curricula
- Engaging in public relations, campaigning, program and organisational development as required by the partner organisation
- Integrating into the partner organisation’s young team and adjusting to the partner organisation’s working conditions
- Ensuring proper and adequate application and reporting of funds and regular communication with the CPS country coordinator and KURVE Wustrow in Germany
- Contribute to ongoing conflict and security analyses of the CPS country coordination and close cooperation with other International Peace Workers in Myanmar
- Where necessary, public relations and networking activities for KURVE Wustrow in Germany
- University or similar degree in peace and conflict studies, political science, pedagogy, international relations, or another relevant field
- Sound knowledge and experience in the field of peacebuilding and civil conflict transformation; experience in peace education, negotiation and facilitation trainings are an asset
- Strong communication skills, especially with regard to dealing with different actors (team, university, ministry, etc.)
- Experience in advocacy and the development of strategic approaches in this area
- Sound knowledge and experience in project management and evaluation as well as reporting and documentation (PM&E)
- Several years of working experience with NGOs and networks, preferably in intercultural teams and/or abroad
- Knowledge of the country/context and work experience in Myanmar as well as experience in the university sector are an asset
- Sound knowledge of training topics such as non-violent communication, child rights, gender, ethnic and religious conflicts are an asset
- Willingness to travel to remote areas and to work on weekends and public holiday
- Respectful and interculturally sensitive attitude, analytical-strategic thinking skills, ability for self-reflection, high degree of flexibility, teamwork and adaptability to basic working conditions
- Contextual knowledge about Peace Education (especially in the Myanmar context) or willingness to develop this knowledge in depth
- Good computer skills including social media
- High command of English and willingness to learn Burmese, German language skills are an asset
Terms of Contract:
We offer a contract according to the German law for development aid workers (only for EU-citizens plus Switzerland) until December 2023 on the condition that the CPS program proposal is approved beyond 31.12.2020. Due to the unpredictable development of the Covid-19 pandemic, this job announcement is made with reservations. The contract including a preparation period in Germany is expected to start on 15st September 2020.
For your application (in English), please use the ONLINE application form, stating the following code Myanmar_FFK_KMF. Submission deadline is 31 May 2020.
The selection days will take place in Wustrow (Wendland, Lower Saxony, Germany) in the 24th and 25th calendar week.
For our CPS-program
“Strengthening Capacity for Peace and Human Rights Education and for an Active Civil Society”
together with our partner organisation
Kainayar Rural Social Development Organisation (KRSDO)
we are looking for a
Civil Peace Worker in Loikaw / Myanmar
Field of work:
As an integrated international peace worker, you support the partner organisation in the strategic development of civil conflict transformation measures and trainings mainly in Kayah State and partly in the bordering Southern Shan State. The local organisation mainly works with returned internally displaced persons on issues of minority and children’s rights. Besides working with the partner organisation, you also take on tasks on cross-cutting issues for the country program of KURVE Wustrow in Myanmar.
- Planning, implementation, close monitoring and reporting of the CPS project in cooperation with the partner organisation’s team of Local Peace Workers
- Planning, monitoring and evaluation of activities (such as trainings, etc.)
- Research and planning of a strategic advocacy approach
- Supporting the partner organisation in building and expanding their capacity
- Networking activities with government and civil society actors as well as peace education organisations, in close collaboration with KRSDO and other partner organisations in Myanmar
- Supporting local partner organisations in their work on human and children’s rights and advocacy
- Integration into the team of the partner organisation and support in processes of organisational and programme development as needed
- Budget planning and monitoring, ensuring proper and adequate use of funds, and regular communication with the CPS country coordinator and the KURVE Wustrow office in Germany
- Contribute to the ongoing conflict and security analyses in relation to the CPS project
- Work in close cooperation with the country coordinator and with other international peace workers and CPS projects in Myanmar
- Where necessary, support of networking, public relations and advocacy activities of KURVE Wustrow in Germany
- Duty station and place of residence is Loikaw in Kayah State
- University degree or a similar degree in peace and conflict studies, international relations, or another relevant field
- Several years of work experience with NGOs, preferably in intercultural teams, in international and conflict contexts and with grassroots organisations
- Ability to build trust with diverse stakeholders (local government authorities, communities and international organisations)
- Sound knowledge and experience in the field of peacebuilding, civil conflict transformation and human rights, especially minority and children’s rights; knowledge in the field of land rights and non-violent education are an advantage
- Experience in contexts with multi-ethnic conflicts
- Relevant experience in and knowledge of project management and strategic development, incl. monitoring and evaluation (PM&E) of peace building, development and/or humanitarian projects in conflict contexts
- Ability to continuously assess and reflect the challenges of international peace workers in regard to Do No Harm and security
- Very good team player with intercultural competences; analytical and strategic thinking skills, ability for self-reflection, high flexibility
- Contextual knowledge of Southeast Asia is a requirement
- Contextual knowledge of and work experience in Myanmar and Kayah State are a significant advantage, or willingness to develop this knowledge
- Experience in digital communication, MS Office and Social Media skills are an advantage
- Professional command of English and a strong interest and motivation to learn Burmese is a requirement; German and Burmese language skills are an asset
- Motivation and willingness to live in a small town of 12.000 inhabitants in Myanmar with modest living conditions in a remote area
- Willingness for frequent work travel to Yangon and remote areas, if the security situation permits
Terms of Contract:
We offer a contract according to the German law for development aid workers (only for EU-citizens) until 31 December 2023, on the condition of funding by the BMZ beyond 31.12.2020. Due to the unpredictable development of the Covid-19 pandemic, this job announcement is made with reservations. The contract including a preparation period in Germany, is expected to commence on the 15th of September 2020.
Please use our online application form stating the following code „Myanmar_FFK_Loikaw“ latest until 31.05.2020.
The selection day is expected to be held in Wustrow (Wendland, Germany) between the
15th and 26th of June 2020.